1. Njala University - Njala Campus
2. University of Sierra Leone - FBC
Milton Margai Teachers College has been the premier institution in Sierra Leone for the training of teachers below graduate level for teaching in the lower levels of Secondary Schools. However, in December 1995 the B.Ed Degree Programme commenced in the College of be in track with the new education policy of Sierra Leone for the Institution to be upgraded to a College of Education. The College at Goderich came into being in 1960 when the Government decided to move the Teacher Training Department from Fourah Bay College at Mount Aureole and to establish a new College to train teachers from and for primary and secondary Schools. As the Freetown Training College for Teachers, it first occupied the old Military Barracks at Tower Hill while buildings for the College were being planned and constructed at Goderich with funds provided by Overseas Development Agency (ODA). In September, 1963 the College moved to its present site at Goderich which facilities were formally opened by the Governor General of Sierra Leone, Sir Henry Lightfoot-Boston, in the presence of the then Prime Minister of Sierra Leone, Sir Milton Margai in whose honour the College was renamed.
The Hotel and Tourism Training Institute started as a training centre at Broofields Freetown in 1990 for students interested in the hospitality and Tourism Industries under a joint project of International Labour Organization/United Nations Development Programme/Champagne Aryanne of France and the Sierra Leone Government. This centre was under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Tourism up to 1998 when the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports took over its supervision.
The Freetown Technical Institute at Congo Cross, Freetown was originally established in 1945 as a Government Technical Training Centre for the purpose of training military officers. In 1952 the Government Technical Centre phased out and was renamed Freetown Technical Institute with the mandate to train technicians, craftsmen and improve the technical skills of Government workers and industrial employees, in order to increase the supply of middle level man-power based in the country�s development aspirations. When the Government Civil Service Training School was merged with IPAM, the training programme related to Secretarial Duties was handed over to Freetown Technical Institute at Congo Cross. Over the years, Freetown Technical Institute training services have been diversified. In addition to its programme in general education, the Institute provides training in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil and Building Engineering, Automobile Engineering, Marie Engineering, Architectural Drafting and Technology, Business and Management Studies and Secretarial Duties. The diversified curriculum provides opportunity for young school graduates to study a wide range of courses, academic and non-academic at various levels to provide for their mobility from the lowest level to the highest level of certification possible within the Polytechnic Institution.